Bauhan Publishing is an independent Publisher in Peterborough, New Hampshire. We focus on New England regional books in the areas of history, art, nature studies, and poetry, as well as venturing into thoughtful books that explore sustainability of both the earth and the spirit.
We host the May Sarton New Hampshire Poetry Prize annually which accepts previously unpublished poetry manuscripts from poets around the world and on any subject matter. The winner receives a cash prize and publication of their book.
Deadline: June 30th!
Bauhan Publishing is accepting submissions for the 2017 May Sarton New Hampshire Poetry Prize.
- With the success of our first six contests, 2011: Rebecca Givens Rolland for her collection The Wreck of Birds, 2012: Nils Michal for his collection, Come Down to Earth, David Koehn for his collection, Twine ( April 2014), Deborah Gorlin for her collection Life of the Garment (April 2015), Desirée Alvarez for her collection, Devil's Paintbrush (March 2016), and Zeina Hashem Beck for her collection Louder Than Hearts (Spring 2017) we are pleased to accept submissions for our next prize.
- The winner receives $1000, book publication, and 100 copies of the published book, as well as distribution with our other spring titles through our partner UPNE (University Press of New England).
- We are pleased to announce this year's judge will be Jennifer Militello. We do not pre-screen; all manuscripts go to the judge.
- Below are the submission guidelines - if you have any questions, please email us with "May Sarton Prize" in the subject line.
- TITLE PAGE WITH NO NAME
- Please, no acknowledgments, biographical material, or dedication pages in the manuscript.
- Manuscripts must be typed and paginated, 50 to 80 pages in length (single spaced). PDF or Word Doc.
- Translations and self-published books are not eligible. The manuscript must be the product of only one author.
- Any person who has studied poetry in a formal program with this year's judge, Jennifer Militello, through a college, university, community program, residency, or private tutorial—within the last two years is not eligible to submit a manuscript to this contest.
- No illustrations, photographs or images should be included.
- The actual manuscript should include ONLY the following: TITLE PAGE (with no name), TABLE OF CONTENTS, POEMS.
- The winner will be announced in October 2017 on our website at Bauhan Publishing We will notify the winner and runner's up prior to the announcement, and then email all the contestants as we publish the results.
- Bauhan Publishing reserves the right to cancel the contest for any reason. In that unlikely event, all entry fees will be returned to contestants.
- GOOD LUCK!